Finding motivation to get beat up every day can be difficult, but I’m here to tell it’s possible and rewarding. Self-motivation is the most powerful tool you’ll possess on your path in Jiu Jitsu. Motivation is the driving force for coming to class as much as possible to gain knowledge and mat time to get better. The best way to maintain your motivation is to find a need you have to get from your training. Some tips on how to find that motivation are:
- Set different time-length goals so you are always working toward something important to you. Below is an example, but your list could be completely different than the one shown. Also, it’s not uncommon for your list to change over time to fit where you are with your training.
o Short-term – make it to 3 classes a week
o Mid-term – Reach that next belt
o Long-term – Achieve your black belt
- Find people to train with that you connect and can have fun with. It’s important to have friends you want to train with because it can be a much more enjoyable sport if you have others to share it with.
- Don’t put to much pressure on yourself and have fun.
- Try a different position or work on new techniques.
- Compete. Preparing for a competition is a great way to boost your motivation.
Staying motivated can be very tricky, but if you can find the will and push through the darkness the reward on the other side is immeasurable.